If there’s one thing most of us have in common, it’s that we’ve got scars. Scars can happen as a result of nearly any kind of damage to the skin — a surgery, an accident, even acne! Lucky for us, there’s a treatment called laser scar removal that can help us better the appearance of these scars significantly.
Laser scar removal is a non-invasive treatment that helps stimulate new skin growth. Though this treatment can’t get rid of scars entirely, it can make them less noticeable.
In order to get the best results from this treatment, the scar shouldn’t be more than six months old. Anything older than that can still reap some benefits, but it won’t be nearly as effective.
When it comes to laser scar removal, the healing process can sometimes seem intimidating. This is usually because people don’t know exactly how the process works. Here’s what you can expect:
- Several sessions will most likely be needed, depending on the size, age, and severity of the scar
- The skin usually takes 1-2 weeks to heal after a laser session, and will remain sensitive during this time
- Temporary swelling, peeling, and/or light bruising is common for after doing laser scar removal
Here are some tips to move the healing process along a bit quicker:
- Apply a cold compress or a bit of ice to the treated area for 2-3 days after the treatment. Hold the cold compress/ice for 15-20 minutes. Do this about 3 times a day.
- Avoid getting in saunas, pools, and jacuzzis. If possible, avoid taking baths too! Instead, take showers.
- Don’t apply any makeup on the treated area until it is fully healed.
- Avoid exposing the treated area to the sun as much as possible. If unavoidable, be sure to apply sunscreen (SPF 30+) to the area and use hats or other items that can provide coverage and protection.
- Take Tylenol if you’re in pain or uncomfortable.
And most importantly…
- Call your doctor if you have any questions or concerns! Even if it seems silly or it turns out to be nothing, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Don’t hesitate to contact a medical professional at any point during the treatment/healing process.
Last but not least, if you experience any of the following symptoms after treatment, make sure to call your doctor immediately:
- Extreme pain/discomfort
- Severe bruising
Laser scar removal is a great option for anyone who wants to better the appearance of their scars. Even though the process might seem a little scary, it’ll be smooth sailing as long as all post-care instructions are followed.